- Remove dead grass and debris.
- Rake level and ensure adequate depth of soil, add more if required.
(For more information on soil preparation, see our section about sod installation.)
- Measure area to be seeded, calculate in sq. ft (length and width).
- Spread starter fertilizer over entire area to be seeded.
Willowlee starter fertilizer is spread at a rate of 9 lbs Per 1000 ft
- Evenly spread seed over area at a rate of 5 lbs per 1000 ft. A light raking will improve seed-to-soil contact. Do not rake aggressively. Seed germination is lowered if seed is incorporated too deeply. It is easier to under apply seed and have to reapply than to apply too heartily.
- Roll entire area to firm seed to soil.
- Cover area with Strawnet mulch at a rate of 50 lbs per 1000 ft to prevent erosion and improve water retention.
- Water area until the soil is saturated. This will leave water on reserve to aid in seed establishment. Excess watering will cause erosion, monitor water application carefully.
- Subsequent light watering is required to keep soil moist and aid seed germination. Our Strawnet will reduce the frequency of watering required, (about 15 minutes each day with an average sprinkler). The soil surface should not be allowed to dry out.
(For more instructions on watering, see Lawn Maintenance tips.)
- Limit traffic as much as possible during the first few weeks, until the grass is established, usually 3-4 weeks.
- Mowing should begin once the grass reaches a height of 3-4 inches.
- After 6 weeks, apply Willowlee lawn fertilizer
(For more information on fertilization, see Lawn Fertilization.)
When can I seed my lawn?
The best time for maximum germination is mid August to mid September, when nights are cooler than during the heat of mid summer
Spring seeding can be done when soil temperatures reach 15 degrees C, normally mid may.
At Willowlee we carry professional all-purpose blends, and blends specifically for shaded areas. We also carry pure Kentucky blue grass, the same grass that we use in our own fields.
Seed is available in 2.27kg, 10kg and 25kg packages.